Seeing God



Recently I got to go out and fish for tuna off the Oregon coast and it was incredible. The weather was perfect, the ocean was calm (even glassy at times) and of course, reeling in those albacore tuna was a blast!

Every time I've been on the ocean and it's been calm and glassy, I always marvel at the beauty of the water reflecting the sky and the clouds. When it is choppy out there, you can't see much reflection at all.

I read a devotional that spoke of this idea of calm waters reflecting beauty. Here is an excerpt:

WAITING upon God is necessary in order to see Him, to have a vision of Him. The time element in vision is essential. Our hearts are like a sensitive photographer’s plate; and in order to have God revealed there, we must sit at His feet a long time. The troubled surface of a lake will not reflect an object. Our lives must be quiet and restful if we would see God. There is power in the sight of some things to affect one’s life. A quiet sunset will bring peace to a troubled heart. Thus the vision of God always transforms human life.

Cowman, L. B. (1925). Streams in the Desert (p. 273). The Oriental Missionary Society.

May we all take extra time this week in prayer and sit at the Lord's feet experiencing His presence. In seeking Him first, we catch a glimpse of His majesty!

1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Psalm 23 from the King James Version 


PS Yes, this is a photo I took from that tuna day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going along with the crowd?