One Thing...



There was a song stuck in my head recently that drove me a bit crazy. The song was "One Thing Leads to Another" by a British band from the 1980's called The Fixx.

I guess it was originally a song that was addressed to wishy-washy, talk only politicians. I didn't know that though when I heard that song on the radio.

Today I'm thinking about that idea of one thing.

What is one thing I can do or say to honor God, and love people? Of that many things, what's the best one or the main one right now that we could do given our time, talents, resources, abilities, etc.?

I found a handful of 'one thing' statements in the New Testament that kept me on this little rabit trail. For instance, when Jesus tells that rich young ruler guy in Mark 10 that he needs to sell it all, give it to the poor and follow Him or when Jesus tells Mary that Martha has chosen the one thing necessary - the good portion when she sat at Jesus' feet in Luke 10.

But I came to Paul's words in Philippians 3 and here is what he wrote:
12 Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. 13 Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
-Philippians 3:12-14 ESV

The one thing Paul did? Forgetting yesterday to go forward today. Hmmm.

So for us today, how can we leave the past in the past and lean forward to what God is calling us now? Maybe something is holding us back from experiencing Jesus fully today. By God's grace, may we each ask Him to remove any obstacles in our lives that hold us back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going along with the crowd?