A lesson in saying LESS...




I recently read a book of poems by Yung Pueblo (pen name) called The Way Forward that was recommended to me. I found it quite insightful in many ways, but, in one way in particular: the art of saying less. Here's one poem in the collection:

saying less is incredibly helpful
not every thought is valuable
not every feeling needs to be voiced

what is often best is to slow down and spend time
developing a clearer and more informed
perspective

ego rushes and reacts,
but peace moves purposefully and gently

Wow - I need to work on this. Maybe it's the danger for anyone who speaks publicly - preachers especially.

The poem reminded me of a few Scriptures like:

Do not be quick with your mouth, do not be hasty in your heart to utter anything before God. God is in heaven and you are on earth, so let your words be few.
-Ecclesiastes 5:2

My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry...
-James 1:19

Indeed, sometimes saying less is incredibly helpful. Lord teach us to speak thoughtfully and for some of us (me) that might be less!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going along with the crowd?