The human condition


Ah the human condition

I was walking and praying this morning on my way to my church office when something dawned on me...Jacob wasn't so good. Further, he didn't seem to have a great relationship with God. In fact, I don't think his mother Rebekah was all that righteous either...

Let me explain.

In Genesis 27, good old Father Isaac is going down fast - unable to see. He then asks his favorite son Esau to go hunt for and prepare food so that he can give a final blessing and die.  This is the setup for the sketchy drama that leads to mom Rebekah working out a great cheat for her favorite son Jacob.

It's sort of a sad, tragic portrayal of a messed-up family situation.

To make it worse, this was my daily 'devotional' Bible passage. Ugh. Not many spiritual nuggets of wisdom there. Disgust maybe, but, a Word from the Lord? Not so much. Or is there?

In contrast to human unfaithfulness stands the profound faithfulness of God. Undeserving Jacob gets the blessing and eventually seeks the Lord in his life (down the road). In the end, God's will is accomplished through some shady people and situations.

This is the power of God amid the sketchy human condition.

I stand in awe of a God who loves me more than I can possibly imagine even though I'm more sinful than I want to ever admit.

Praise be to God.

Photo by Eddie & Carolina Stigson on Unsplash



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fruitful

My eye is not on the density of the fog but on the living God...

Creation groans...