The elder or the younger son?


I have really grown to appreciate the writing and ministry of the late Henri Nouwen. As I've been working through his books, I read this on the plane this past weekend from
The Return of the Prodigal Son:

pg. 79 Jesus says: "How blessed are you when you are poor...blessed are you who are hungry...blessed are you who are weeping...", but I am not poor, hungry, or weeping. Jesus prays: "I bless you Father, Lord of heaven and of earth, for hiding these things (of the kingdom) from the learned and the clever." It is to these, the learned and the clever, that I clearly belong. Jesus shows a distinct preference for those who are marginal in society - the poor, the sick, and the sinners - but I am certainly not marginal. The painful question that arises for me out of the Gospel is: "Have I already had my reward?" Jesus is very critical of those who "say their prayers standing up in their synagogues and at street corners for people to see them." Of them, he says: "In truth, I tell you they have their reward." With all my writing and speaking about prayer and with all the publicity that I enjoy, I cannot help but wonder if these words are not meant for me.

As a Christ follower in the United States, I have become more and more of my blessings and privileges. I am seeing where I've been arrogant and ignorant. When the Scriptures speak of the wealthy and those of position, they are speaking directly to me. As Paul would challenge me (and many of us), 'be rich toward God' instead of hoarding wealth and boasting about my status. Listening again to Paul's words to his protege Timothy (1 Timothy 6:17-19):

Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.

Yes, I have seen myself in both the younger and the older son in this parable of a father's great love. I've also wrestled with Jesus' teachings - they often read me; pierce me; convict and restore me. 

May we all be willing to be convicted afresh with the teachings of our Rabbi Jesus Christ of Nazareth!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going along with the crowd?