Mt. Moriah and sacred places...




I've been slowly studying the book of Genesis lately and was struck by something that I have been pondering - namely sacred places.

In Genesis 22, Abraham is tested by God in a sort of odd and questionable way involving his special son Isaac. The testing involved a 3-day journey to the 'land of Moriah' and a burnt offering sacrifice of Isaac.

Of course, Abraham kept some details to himself as he gathered a few young men, provisions, a donkey, and Isaac...probably a good idea...

The story is well-known for sure, but, for me, I found the location very intriguing. We find in 2 Chronicles that this 'land of Moriah' was actually a high place or mountain. That passage speaks of Solomon building the first temple in Jerusalem on that very place.

Why is this place so special? Well, you'd need to go to another story that involves Solomon's father David. In 2 Samuel 24, we enter a tragic moment in David's life that happened due to his sin. The consequences of his sin meant death for many people in the nation and in his repentance, he obeyed the Lord's command through the prophet Gad to go and build an altar. Guess where that altar was to be? You guessed it - Mt. Moriah! It happened to be a threshing floor at the time and so David purchased it to build the altar. It was here that David uttered these words, "I will not offer to the Lord my God burnt sacrifices that cost me nothing!"

22 Araunah told David, “My lord the king may take whatever he wishes and offer it. Look! Here are oxen for burnt offerings, and threshing sledges and harnesses for wood. 23 I, the servant of my lord the king, give it all to the king!” Araunah also told the king, “May the Lord your God show you favor!” 24 But the king said to Araunah, “No, I insist on buying it from you! I will not offer to the Lord my God burnt sacrifices that cost me nothing.”

-New English Translation

Years later, Solomon's temple was built and then rebuilt and in the time of Jesus, it had been added to and enhanced by Herod of all people. It has remained a special and sacred place all these years later.

What sacred spaces and places exist for me? For us? 

Even though I know that what makes those spaces sacred is really the presence and closeness of God, making room for Him I find helpful - from a prayer closet or room to a mountain or a chapel. It is intentional and should indeed cost us something - sacrifice always does! 


Photo by K. Mitch Hodge on Unsplash

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going along with the crowd?