Light and Dark



So we are in it. We've officially entered the darkest part of the year.


Yay.

Sunlight is becoming sparse in our Northern Hemisphere. Next month, say around December 21st, we'll experience the shortest day and longest night.

How do we get through this colder, darker bit of season? Scientists call it the 'solar winter' and it lasts into February. Ugh.

Well, other than cranking up the heater and breaking out those sweaters, we can look to the light of the world to help us navigate right?

There's an older song out there we sing at times written by Tim Hughes (circa 2000?) called Here I Am to Worship:

Light of the world,
You stepped down into darkness,
Opened my eyes, let me see
Beauty that made this heart adore You,
Hope of a life spent with You.

Chorus
So, here I am to worship,
Here I am to bow down
Here I am to say that You’re my God!
You’re altogether lovely, altogether worthy,
Altogether wonderful to me!

We can proclaim, like David did, "O Lord, You are my lamp. The Lord lights up my darkness!" (2 Samuel 22:29). And, like the beginning of John's gospel account, "The Word gave life to everything that was created, and his life brought light to everyone. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it."

Let us cling to the true light of the world as we walk humbly and securely through these days!

Pastor Ben

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going along with the crowd?