Shelter and Protection

Last weekend at the church I lead, the spouse of our Associate Pastor Jo Bullock taught us about our identity as humans and how both men and women bear the image and stamp of God reflecting His characteristics. I loved how she spoke about being people who both shelter AND protect people God puts in our lives - family, friends, and even strangers in some cases.

In fact, I've read Psalm 91 many times and totally missed this dual role that God plays for us and that we can be for others. Here's the passage:

1 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say to the Lord, “My refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.”
3 For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler
and from the deadly pestilence.
4 He will cover you with his pinions,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness is a shield and buckler.
5 You will not fear the terror of the night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,
6 nor the pestilence that stalks in darkness,
nor the destruction that wastes at noonday.

It reminded me of an old German hymn we used to sing back in the day titled Praise to the Lord, the Almighty - especially that verse 2:
"Shelters thee under His wings, yes, so gently sustaineth"

May we be always watchful and observant to see who we might help shelter and protect in our lives - and in this work, we reflect the image of God!

Pastor Ben

PS By the way, the hymn I refer to was translated from German into English in the 19th century by Catherin Winkworth who was an early advocate for the rights of women - more on her here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catherine_Winkworth

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going along with the crowd?