The Goodness of God

Photo from inside the cathedral in Norwich.

This past Monday was a day set aside in the Anglican liturgical calendar to honor the life of Julian of Norwich. Julian, also known as Mother Julian, lived during the Middle Ages in Norwich, England. She is credited for writing the earliest surviving English language works by a woman.

Though she suffered illness in her life, she wrote some beautiful and deep thoughts on the great goodness and love of God. She wrote often of joy and is credited with this phrase, "All shall be well and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well."

I prayed this prayer of hers this week - maybe it can be an encouragement to you as well:
God of your goodness, give me yourself; for you are sufficient for me.
I cannot properly ask anything less, to be worthy of you.
If I were to ask less, I should always be in want.
In you alone do I have all.

We tell and sing and proclaim the profound goodness of God each Sunday and this Sunday, on a day to honor motherhood, let us proclaim again of the great goodness of God!

"Surely your goodness and faithfulness will pursue me all my days, and I will live in the Lord’s house for the rest of my life."
Psalm 23:6 (from the New English Translation)

Photo by Rob Barber on Unsplash

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going along with the crowd?